Arsenal PLAYER RATINGS v CSKA Moscow
Arsenal drew 2-2 with CSKA Moscow in the Europa League quarter final second leg in a dramatic night in Russian on Thursday evening. Read Layth Yousif’s PLAYER RATINGS as the Gunners won through to their first European semi-final since 2009 6-3 on aggregate.
Petr Cech: 7 – Made several fine saves at crucial points in the match. But should he have been more dominant in the box and claimed the high ball before CSKA’s Chalov.
Hector Bellerin: 7 – Put in a shift but was not helped by Wenger pushing him deeper after the break as a wing-back.
Shkodran Mustafi: 4 – Poor. Positionally and technically. Simply not good enough for Arsenal despite always talking a good game.
You may also want to watch:
Laurent Koscielny: 6 – Should he have been more aware for Nababkin’s goal? The ball was certainlly pumped into his zone.
Nacho Monreal: 7 – Not really to blame for the second goal, despite the poor challenge moments before CSKA made it the scoreline a worrying 2-0.
- 1 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 4 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 5 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 6 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 7 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 8 'Exceptional' heroes granted Islington's highest award, the 'Freedom of the Borough'
- 9 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 10 Tree wardens to be recruited on every Islington estate 'to advocate for trees'
Mohamed Elneny: 9 – Wenger’s decision to weaken the midfield at the break by playing three at the back with two deep-lying wing backs did him no favours but he battled well and benefitted from the disappointing Wilshere being replaced with Chambers for a more solid line-up. His pass for Welbeck’s goal was absolutely superb. One of his finest performances in an Arsenal shirt.
Jack Wilshere: 3 – No secret this correspondent has backed Jack all season. But his performance in Moscow was as poor a performance as he has ever shown in an Arsenal shirt.
Aaron Ramsey: 8 – His late goal on the stroke of the Russian midnight sealed the Gunners progression to their first European semi-final since 2009.
Mesut Ozil: 7.5 – Worked hard and showed flair but faded as the game went on
Danny Welbeck: 8 – Superb goal to ease the tension. Echoes of Thierry Henry the way he opened up his body to slot home to deflate the home crowd
Alexandre Lacazette: 7 – Earned his starting berth after being involved in 12 goals in the last 11 games – 10 strikes, two assists –
Calum Chambers (69) - 8 – Brought a stability to the lopsided line-up midway through the second half – which was vital with the team reeling at 2-0 down. Excellent performance
Alex Iwobi: 7 – Played his part in helping his side over the line. But another who is simply not good enough in the long term.