Arsenal players ‘reminded of their responsibilities’ after summer ‘hippy crack’ party
- Credit: Picture: MARTYN HAWORTH
Arsenal Football Club have issued a statement saying players will be ‘reminded of their responsibilities’ after a number of the squad were allegedly pictured inhaling nitrous oxide, or ‘hippy crack’, in a central London nightclub.
Mesut Ozil, Matteo Guendouzi, Alexandre Lacazette, and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang were all reportedly pictured at a summer party before the Premier League season started, at which nitrous oxide was said to have been inhaled from balloons.
The Sun newspaper has reported ‘laughing gas’ canisters were brought to the players in a VIP area of a West End nightclub in August with more than ‘60 women’ said to be in attendance.
A club spokesperson said: “The players will be spoken to about this and reminded of their responsibilities as representatives of the club.”
Nitrous oxide is popular with partygoers because it causes deep feelings of euphoria, as well as intense hallucinations along with of giggles and sustained laughter.
You may also want to watch:
However doctors have warned of health risks including passing out if too much nitrous oxide is inhaled, while drug information website Talk to Frank says people have died as a result of suffocating from a lack of oxygen.
Footage obtained by the Sun allegedly showed Ozil, Aubameyang, Guendouzi and Lacazette all inhaling the gas.
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 5 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 6 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 7 Hackney photographer captures lockdown 'park life'
- 8 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 9 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 10 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
Arsenal host Huddersfield Town on Saturday on the back of a 20-match unbeaten run following two defeats in their first two matches in August under boss Unai Emery.
Follow Arsenal reporter Layth on Twitter @laythy29