Arsenal playmaker Mesut Ozil: Mourinho told me ‘What do you want? To shampoo your hair or show what you can do?’
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Mesut Ozil has revealed what Jose Mourinho said to him in a bid to motivate him while he bossed him at Real Madrid.
Ozil has been in excellent form over the last two months and Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger insists the classy playmaker wants to stay at the club despite only having six months left on his contract.
The creative German midfielder has grabbed two goals and four assists in his last five matches at the Emirates and the long-serving Frenchman hailed the 29-year-old’s influential performances after his superb volley against Newcastle proved to be the winner in a 1-0 victory over Newcastle on Saturday.
But speculation is rising about the future of the former Real Madrid star as potential suitors Manchester United and Barcelona hover.
Ozil revealed in his autobiography the way Wenger’s long-term adversary Mourinho would motivate him at Bernabeu was far different from the calmer Frenchman.
You may also want to watch:
In his book released earlier this year Ozil gave an insight into how United boss Mourinho treated him while they were together at the Bernabeu.
Ozil recalled what the controversial former Chelsea said to him in book called Gunning for Greatness
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 7 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 8 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 9 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 10 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
He wrote: “You think two beautiful passes are enough – you think you’re so good that 50 per cent is enough?” Mourinho shouted. “What do you want? To creep under the beautiful, warm shower? Shampoo your hair? To be alone? Or do you want to prove to your fellow players, the fans out there, and me, what you can do?”
However, when Wenger was asked if he thought Ozil still had a long-term future at the club he said: “No, I believe he wants to stay. He is not to be convinced.”
When pressed if contract talks were set to take place he replied: “Let us do that and let’s not talk about it.”
However earlier this week Wenger refused to be drawn on whether his team would suffer more from the possible loss of Ozil or another unsettled star with a few months remaining on his contract, Alexis Sanchez.
He added: “I wouldn’t like to compare. You want nobody to leave and see where we stand on that. But at the moment, it’s very difficult. Until the end of the season we know what he is, but after that I cannot tell you.”
The 67-year-old Gunners boss did have words of encouragement for the German during his good run of form.
He added: “I think he takes responsibility and that’s what you want from him. He is more mature, he guides the team very well, he does a lot on the ball and your heart rate always goes down when he has the ball.
“He links up the play. When you have problems to build up the game, he comes a bit deeper so overall, we still have a good occupation of the pitch and we know as well that the passing starts well.”
Mesut Ozil: Gunning for Greatnes: My Life: With an introduction by Jose Mourinho is out now.