Arsenal Q&A – Friday fanzone with Gay Gooners Lea Baynes
- Credit: Archant
We won’t let the Beast from the East disrupt our normal Friday Arsenal Fanzone Q&A. This week we have loyal Gunner Lea Baynes who is also part of the brilliant Gay Gooners group and sits on the committee. Read on for Lea’s interview with Layth Yousif.
Hi Lea, tell us a little about yourself and your supporters group
My name is Lea Baynes I am a 29-year-old female gay gooner. The Gay Gooners are a great organisation that includes everyone and helps us go to football matches as a group. It’s like a family to me even though we have over 600 members now.
How did you become an Arsenal fan?
My mum was an Arsenal fan and we lived near Woolwich.
Years supporting the club?
As long as I can remember.
- 1 Teenage Highbury Fields fatal stabbing victim named by police
- 2 Teenager arrested in Deshuan Tuitt murder investigation
- 3 Inside the esports gaming arena coming to Islington's Upper Street
- 4 Polio virus found in Islington sewage
- 5 'All I could see was the water coming up': Clean-up begins after Holloway flooding
- 6 'Like a tsunami': Burst water main floods Islington street
- 7 Murder investigation after teenager stabbed in Islington park
- 8 'Extremely distressing': Council leader's shock after Highbury Fields stabbing
- 9 Finsbury Park man due in court charged with pub murder
- 10 Hundreds of children strip searched by Met Police
Do you think social media has made the game better or worse for fans?
I think social media has made it better but I believe that things like Arsenal Fan TV do make us seem like a laughing stock. People look forward to us losing to watch that on YouTube. I am mates with a couple of them and off YouTube they are really nice guys.
One thing you would change about the club?
To have more connection with the women’s team. To get the women’s team to play at the Emirates. I support those girls at more games than the men’s. They are great.
What makes you proud to be a Gooner?
The Arsenal Foundation and what the club does to help lots of different types of people. For example you have the Arsenal for Everyone campaign which does so much.
Next statue outside would be?
Against Bolton in an FA Cup game years ago which we drew.
Favourite game and why?
Arsenal 5.1 Everton this season. As it was the first game in a long time that I really enjoyed.
Fave women’s game has to be our only FA Cup Final at Wembley beating Chelsea 1-0.
Worst game and why?
Losing to Reading in the Conti Cup game this season.
Favourite player and why?
Leah Williamson or Jack Wilshere.
Travel the two hours to get to the Emirates and then hang out with Gay Gooners before we go in.
Best thing about Highbury?
Best thing about Emirates?
It looks so good.
Fourth place trophy or Europa League – can’t say both
Favourite win over Spurs
All of them.
All time Arsenal XI
Seaman, Bellerin, Dixon, Adams, Monreal, Ljunberg, Vieara, Piers, Henry, Berkamp and Wright.
Anything you want to add
Come on Arsenal and Arsenal Women
Follow Lea on Twitter @Leaarsenal14.
For more information on Gay Gooners follow them @gaygooners.