Arsenal Q&A – Friday fanzone with Gay Gooners Lea Baynes
- Credit: Archant
We won’t let the Beast from the East disrupt our normal Friday Arsenal Fanzone Q&A. This week we have loyal Gunner Lea Baynes who is also part of the brilliant Gay Gooners group and sits on the committee. Read on for Lea’s interview with Layth Yousif.
Hi Lea, tell us a little about yourself and your supporters group
My name is Lea Baynes I am a 29-year-old female gay gooner. The Gay Gooners are a great organisation that includes everyone and helps us go to football matches as a group. It’s like a family to me even though we have over 600 members now.
How did you become an Arsenal fan?
My mum was an Arsenal fan and we lived near Woolwich.
You may also want to watch:
Years supporting the club?
As long as I can remember.
- 1 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 2 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 3 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 8 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
Do you think social media has made the game better or worse for fans?
I think social media has made it better but I believe that things like Arsenal Fan TV do make us seem like a laughing stock. People look forward to us losing to watch that on YouTube. I am mates with a couple of them and off YouTube they are really nice guys.
One thing you would change about the club?
To have more connection with the women’s team. To get the women’s team to play at the Emirates. I support those girls at more games than the men’s. They are great.
What makes you proud to be a Gooner?
The Arsenal Foundation and what the club does to help lots of different types of people. For example you have the Arsenal for Everyone campaign which does so much.
Next statue outside would be?
Against Bolton in an FA Cup game years ago which we drew.
Favourite game and why?
Arsenal 5.1 Everton this season. As it was the first game in a long time that I really enjoyed.
Fave women’s game has to be our only FA Cup Final at Wembley beating Chelsea 1-0.
Worst game and why?
Losing to Reading in the Conti Cup game this season.
Favourite player and why?
Leah Williamson or Jack Wilshere.
Travel the two hours to get to the Emirates and then hang out with Gay Gooners before we go in.
Best thing about Highbury?
Best thing about Emirates?
It looks so good.
Fourth place trophy or Europa League – can’t say both
Favourite win over Spurs
All of them.
All time Arsenal XI
Seaman, Bellerin, Dixon, Adams, Monreal, Ljunberg, Vieara, Piers, Henry, Berkamp and Wright.
Anything you want to add
Come on Arsenal and Arsenal Women
Follow Lea on Twitter @Leaarsenal14.
For more information on Gay Gooners follow them @gaygooners.