Arsenal reeling as duo ruled out of Barcelona showdown
Cesc Fabregas a possible chance for Nou Camp, but Van Persie and Walcott are out
ARSENAL’S worst fears were confirmed after Sunday’s Wembley heartbreak – Robin van Persie’s knee injury will rule him out of next week’s clash with Barcelona in the Nou Camp.
Van Persie, who captained the Gunners at Wembley, was injured in the process of scoring the equaliser seven minutes before half-time.
And although he continued to play until midway through the second half, there was clearly a problem with his knee which has now led to another spell on the sidelines for the Dutch striker who has scored 13 goals in 13 starts this season.
“Unfortunately, we had bad news on the scan and he will be out for the next three weeks for sure,” said Wenger. “It could be longer. The shortest delay we can imagine is three weeks. He is definitely out for Barcelona.
You may also want to watch:
“Alex Song has a knee problem as well. From his scan we had good news, it is only blood from a kick on the outside of his knee. He is out for Leyton Orient and has a very small chance for Saturday. But he has a good chance for Barcelona.”
Theo Walcott has also been ruled out of the trip to Catalonia after the ankle injury he suffered against Stoke last week,
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 7 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 8 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 9 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 10 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
The only good news was that captain Cesc Fabregas is winning his fitness battle to play at the Nou Camp for the first time since leaving Barcelona’s academy as a 16-year-old in 2003.
“Cesc is looking possible [for that game] said Wenger. “He is making quick and good progress. It is possible.”