Arsenal’s Guendouzi escapes FA charge
- Credit: PA
Arsenal midfielder Matteo Guendouzi has escaped a Football Association charge despite putting his hands around Neal Maupay’s throat at the end of his side’s defeat at Brighton on Saturday.
The Gunners slipped to a 2-1 loss as Maupay struck in injury time after Brighton captain Lewis Dunk had cancelled out Nicolas Pepe’s opener at the AMEX Stadium.
Earlier in the game, Arsenal goalkeeper Bernd Leno appeared to suffer a serious knee injury as he fell awkwardly with Maupay in close proximity, with the Germany international gesturing his displeasure to the forward as he was taken off on a stretcher.
After hitting the last-gasp winner, Maupay was confronted at the full-time whistle with Guendouzi placing his hands on his fellow Frenchman.
The PA news agency understands the incident was missed by referee Martin Atkinson but that it was picked up and reviewed by the video assistant referee and so Guendouzi will face no further action.
You may also want to watch:
The Football Association has warned and reminded both Brighton and Arsenal of their responsibilities following the coming together at the end of the game.
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 3 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 4 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 5 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 6 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 7 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 8 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 9 Eidevall says Arsenal put 'pressure on themselves' to deliver in big games
- 10 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London