Arsenal’s Leno: ’We want to go all the way in the Europa League’
- Credit: PA
Bernd Leno says Arsenal are determined to go all the way in the Europe League and put the demons of last year’s final behind them after they secured an important 1-0 win over Olympiacos in the first-leg of their last-32 tie.
Alexandre's Lacazette's 81st minute goal put the Gunners in a position to go through and with a crucial away goal, they will go into the second-leg at the Emirates next week as favourites to progress.
Goalkeeper Leno believes the squad are determined to win the competition and right the wrongs of last season's final when they lost 4-1 to Chelsea in Baku.
"We want to go all the way to the final again, to Poland and we want to win this trophy," he said.
"Last season we got to the final and it was very disappointing to lose so this year we have another chance.
You may also want to watch:
"I think we have to take it step by step and today we took the first step to go to the last-16 and next week we have another big game at home and hopefully we will go through to the next round."
Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta picked Leno ahead of Emiliano Martinez for his first Europa League start of the season, and the German is determined to play as many games as possible this season.
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 3 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 4 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 5 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 6 Why Arsenal's Leah Williamson is perfect England captain?
- 7 Islington kids are being 'drawn into county lines drug smuggling'
- 8 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 9 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 10 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
"I want to play all the games, because we take this tournament seriously because it is another trophy and a chance to qualify for the Champions league," he said.
"I want to play all these games and I am happy that the manager made the decision that I play the Premier League and the Europa League games as well."