Arsenal’s Mustafi to miss FA Cup final
- Credit: PA
Arsenal have confirmed Shkodran Mustafi has been ruled out for the rest of the season with a hamstring problem – meaning the defender will miss a second FA Cup final through injury.
The 28-year-old has enjoyed something of a career renaissance at the Emirates Stadium since Mikel Arteta took charge in December.
Often a divisive figure among Arsenal supporters, Mustafi became an integral part of Arteta’s side – starting all but two of their last 14 Premier League games prior to his injury.
The Germany international was forced off late on in Arsenal’s 2-0 FA Cup semi-final win over Manchester City.
Arteta said on Thursday that Mustafi would be doubtful for the final against Chelsea on August 1, with the club announcing a day later that he is definitely sidelined.
You may also want to watch:
In their weekly team news bulletin, Arsenal’s assessment of Mustafi read: “Right hamstring sustained during FA Cup semi-final on Saturday.
“Will miss remaining matches of this season. Further details on recovery programme will be confirmed in the coming days.”
- 1 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 2 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 3 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 4 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 7 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 8 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 9 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 10 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
Mustafi was also forced to watch on from the sidelines as Arsenal beat Chelsea in the 2017 FA Cup final, missing the victory through illness.