Arsenal’s Nelson spot-on for England under-21s
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal youngster Reiss Nelson scored in his first game at the European Under-21 championships as England drew 3-3 with Croatia, writes Joshua Bunting.
Nelson had been an unused substitute in defeats against France and Romania but won an 11th-minute penalty when tripped by Branimir Kalaica.
And the young Gunner send Croatian keeper Ivan Grbic the wrong way from the spot to open the scoring.
Grbic made a superb low save to deny Demarai Gray from Tammy Abramam's scooped pass and Croatia levelled when Josip Brekalo cut inside Jonjoe Kenny and fired past Dean Henderson into the top corner.
James Maddison restored England's lead on 48 minutes when the impressive Nelson saw his cross parried by Grbic and Filip Uremovic's misplaced header fell kindly to the Leicester man.
You may also want to watch:
But Croatia made it 2-2 when Nikola Vlasic fired a 20-yard shot into the far left corner of the net.
Kenny put England ahead for a third time with a 25-yard screamerl but their joy was shortlived as Luka Ivanusec played in Brekalo to slot past Henderson and ensure honours finished even eight minutes from time.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 5 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 8 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 9 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 10 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter