Arsenal’s Nelson spot-on for England under-21s
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal youngster Reiss Nelson scored in his first game at the European Under-21 championships as England drew 3-3 with Croatia, writes Joshua Bunting.
Nelson had been an unused substitute in defeats against France and Romania but won an 11th-minute penalty when tripped by Branimir Kalaica.
And the young Gunner send Croatian keeper Ivan Grbic the wrong way from the spot to open the scoring.
Grbic made a superb low save to deny Demarai Gray from Tammy Abramam's scooped pass and Croatia levelled when Josip Brekalo cut inside Jonjoe Kenny and fired past Dean Henderson into the top corner.
James Maddison restored England's lead on 48 minutes when the impressive Nelson saw his cross parried by Grbic and Filip Uremovic's misplaced header fell kindly to the Leicester man.
You may also want to watch:
But Croatia made it 2-2 when Nikola Vlasic fired a 20-yard shot into the far left corner of the net.
Kenny put England ahead for a third time with a 25-yard screamerl but their joy was shortlived as Luka Ivanusec played in Brekalo to slot past Henderson and ensure honours finished even eight minutes from time.
- 1 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 2 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 3 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 4 Letters: Fighting to keep Wray Crescent Park available to all
- 5 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
- 6 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhood scheme
- 7 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 8 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 9 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 10 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020