Arsenal’s Piebury Corner set for rebrand with all pies named Lucas Torreria after being bought out by Fray Bentos
- Credit: Archant
A cult Arsenal pie shop is renaming all its wares in honour of a single Gunners star after being bought out as the owners prepare to move to Devon – with many fans outraged at the news.
The much-loved Piebury Corner on the Holloway Road, run by Paul and Nicky Campbell has been bought by a large tinned meat pie company.
As such all pies at the pre-match institution – starting with Monday evening’s Premier League match against Newcastle United – will be renamed after Lucas Torreira who was born in the town of Fray Bentos in Uruguay.
The Fray Bentos brand is best known for the manufacture and sale in the United Kingdom of a range of tinned meat pies such as steak and kidney and minced beef and onion.
Former Owner Paul told the Gazette: “Fray Bentos will be making all our pies from now on as part of the deal.
“We will be scrapping all named pies including our Tony Adams, Denis Bergkamp and Charlie Nicholas.
“All pies will be named Lucas Torreira in his honour because of the fact he was born in Fray Bentos.
- 1 New Aldi on Old Street to open this month
- 2 Plea date set for man accused of Sabita Thanwani killing
- 3 Alleged stalker sent '1,000 emails in a month’ to The Crown star Claire Foy
- 4 International food festival coming to Islington this month
- 5 Call to get vaccinated amid Covid surge
- 6 'Save Islington's buses': Call for action as sweeping cuts loom
- 7 'Mistrust and fear' of services fuelling Islington BAME employment gap, research finds
- 8 Islington men charged after jewellery store robbery
- 9 Young stars of the design world celebrated at awards
- 10 Guilty: 4 teenagers admit 27 offences after series of 19 robberies
“We’re off to Devon for a quiet life.”
However, many fans are disappointed at the news.
Long-time Gooner John Williamson, who attends more than 150 Arsenal matches a season following the club at all levels was not impressed.
He added: “I am very disappointed at the news. I intend to visit the town of Fray Bentos in Uruguay prior to our US tour in the summer to complain.
“While Lucas Torreira is a very good player it’s a scandal that there will be no more pies named after Arsenal heroes of the past.”
Fray Bentos spokesman Loof Lirpa added: “We are happy that all the pies in Piebury Corner will be named after Lucas who is from Fray Bentos.
“The Piebury Corner Arsenal model is very popular – with smaller teams such as Tottenham attempting to emulate Paul and Nicky’s success.”