Arsenal’s Ramsey seeks Europa League reward
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Aaron Ramsey admitted the Europa League is now Arsenal’s best chance of qualifying for next season’s Champions League, putting extra emphasis on their last-16 second-leg tie with AC Milan tonight (Thursday).
Recent results in the Premier League have left Arsenal 12 points adrift of the top four, but there is hope in the Europa League, as they lead the tie against Milan 2-0 from the first leg.
“It is a massive opportunity for us so it’s something we’ve got to be prepared to give everything for to try to achieve this,” said Ramsey.
“This game is very important for us and our season.”
Arsenal won with goals from Henrikh Mkhitaryan – his first for the club – and Welsh midfielder Ramsey in an impressive performance in Italy last week, but Ramsey said that would not matter in the second leg.
You may also want to watch:
“We saw how good they are,” he said. “We can’t take our foot off the gas. It’s important we treat it as 0-0 and go out there for the win.”
Manager Arsene Wenger said he had a full squad of players to choose from with the exception of Alexandre Lacazette, who remains out with a knee problem.
- 1 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 2 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 3 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 4 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 5 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 6 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 7 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Tony Eastlake: Man in court over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
The manager was also asked about Jack Wilshere, who is reportedly ready to leave the club in the summer as contract negotiations have come to a standstill.
“On my side nothing has changed,” Wenger said.
“Jack will be free at the end of the season. We have made a proposal to him and I want him to stay and be linked with the club for the future. I hope he will do it.”
Arsenal have Shkodran Mustafi available for the return meeting with the Italians, after the Germany defender limped out of Sunday’s win over Watford with a groin problem.
Hector Bellerin (knee) and Nacho Monreal (back) are also in contention for recalls, but Lacazette (knee) and long-term absentee Santi Cazorla (Achilles) remain sidelined.
With Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang ineligible in Europe, Danny Welbeck is again likely to lead the line for the Gunners, with David Ospina expected to continue in goal in this competition.
Provisional squad: Ospina, Cech, Holding, Mustafi, Chambers, Bellerin, Koscielny, Mertesacker, Monreal, Nelson, Kolasinac, Maitland-Niles, Xhaka, Elneny, Wilshere, Ramsey, Ozil, Iwobi, Mkhitaryan, Welbeck, Nketiah.