Arsenal’s Williamson nominated for young footballer of year award
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
Arsenal Women’s Leah Williamson has been nominated for the Athletic’s Young Women’s Footballer of the Year award.
Williamson has had another solid season at the heart of the Gunners defence and has also notched up two goals in the process against Bristol City and Chelsea in February’s Continental Cup final.
The England international will go up against Manchester City duo Ellie Roebuck and Lauren Hemp, Bristol City’s Ebony Salmon, Manchester United’s Lauren James, Everton’s Chloe Kelly and Chelsea’s Erin Cuthbert.
The club stalwart has taken to the pitch more than her fellow teammates this season, playing 1,286 minutes.
Williamson has registered three assists from the back, two against Brighton & Hove Albion, and played a superb pass for Jordan Nobbs against Birmingham City in January.
You may also want to watch:
At just 23 she has already shown her array of talent on the pitch and also her leadership, which is one of the many attributes to her game that has impressed the Arsenal faithful.
It will not be the only individual award Williamson has claimed should she win, as she picked up the PFA Young Player of the Year in 2015.
- 1 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 2 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 3 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 4 Letters: Fighting to keep Wray Crescent Park available to all
- 5 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
- 6 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhood scheme
- 7 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 8 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 9 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 10 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
She has also turned herself into a regular with the England team as she started two of the three games at last month’s SheBelieves Cup against winners USA and Spain.
What impresses fans most about Williamson is her ability on the ball, as she remains calm at all times and spreads the ball at ease, and will only get better with more experience.
The winner will be announced on the Athletic’s social media channels on Sunday evening.