Arsenal’s Williamson set for NHS Charities Together Cup
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
Arsenal’s Leah Williamson will take part in the NHS Charities Together Cup.
The FIFA 20 tournament has been launched with an all-star line-up in a bid to raise money to help the battle against coronavirus.
The event aims to raise an initial £10million but organisers hope they can smash their opening target when it gets underway next week.
Williamson will be in one of the eight teams hoping to battle it out to be crowned the inaugural NHS Charities Together Cup Champions.
She will be joined by John Terry, Olympic golf champion Justin Rose and England Cricket World Cup hero Ben Stokes along with other stars in the bid to raise money for the NHS.
You may also want to watch:
A tournament spokesperson said: “It is a knockout FIFA 20 competition featuring eight teams, each comprising three celebs, with a public vote deciding which member represents them in a one-on-one match.
“All proceeds are in aid of the Urgent Appeal: COVID-19 Relief Fund: and will go to NHS charities around the country supporting our heroic but desperately stretched NHS staff.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 8 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 9 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 10 Covid delays Finsbury Park murder suspect's bail hearing
“The initial aim is to raise £10million with a long-term goal of £100m.”