Arsenal set to secure third summer signing
Gunners set to secure Oxlade-Chamberlain signing
Arsenal are poised to make their third signing of the summer as teenager Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain looks set to sign from Southampton in a deal that could be worth up to �12m.
The Gunners have beaten off competition from Manchester United and Liverpool to sign the 17-year-old winger, who will be 18 on August 15.
Oxlade-Chamberlain almost moved to the Emirates back in January only for the deal to fall through at the last minute.
That was due to the complicated nature of the transfer which will see �7m paid up front by Arsenal and then a series of add-ons based on appearances and success.
The deal is similar to the one that brought Theo Walcott from St Mary’s Stadium to Arsenal in 2006.
The player is the son of the former England, Stoke City and Sheffield Wednesday midfielder Mark Chamberlain and has scored 10 goals in 36 games for the Saints, helping them win promotion back to the Championship last season.
- 1 Islington's Tory councillor calls for low traffic neighbourhoods to be scrapped
- 2 Islington's first Amazon Fresh store opens in Angel
- 3 Man on trial for attempted murder of girlfriend was in drug-induced psychosis
- 4 'The case for Arsenal starting places for Martinelli and Tierney'
- 5 Court shown moment man is arrested in the road naked after 'ferocious' attack on girlfriend
- 6 Residents to quiz council over homes at Holloway Prison site
- 7 Safety measure or danger? Two weeks to decide Liverpool Road cycleway fate
- 8 New nursery promises ‘outstanding childcare’ for Highbury
- 9 Gong bathing comes to Holloway, Dalston and Stoke Newington
- 10 Remembering London's teenage homicide victims in 2021
Oxlade-Chamberlain has been at Southampton’s academy since the age of seven, and has represented England at all youth levels, winning his first Under-21 cap earlier this year.