Arsenal sign Bernd Leno as Unai Emery reveals he’s ‘excited’ at landing Bayer Leverkusen goalkeeper
- Credit: Archant
German goalkeeper Bernd Leno has agreed to join Arsenal from Bayer Leverkusen.
The highly-rated 26-year-old joins Unai Emery’s overhaul of the Gunners squad.
He made more than 230 appearances for Leverkusen during seven years with the Bundesliga side.
Leno started his youth career at Stuttgart, before signing for Leverkusen in 2011, becoming the youngest goalkeeper to feature in a Champions League match at the age of just 19 years and 193 days against Chelsea.
He received his first senior international call-up three years ago and has won six caps for Germany.
You may also want to watch:
Head coach Emery said: “We are very pleased he will be joining us.
“Bernd is a goalkeeper of high quality and experience. He has been a top performer and regular number one goalkeeper with Leverkusen in the Bundesliga for the past seven years.
- 1 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 2 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 3 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 4 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 5 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 6 Kentish Town teen creates football team to 'bring community together'
- 7 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 8 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 9 Clerkenwell fire: Margery Street office block blaze under investigation
- 10 Meet Charrli - the Islington start-up facilitating zero-waste shopping
“We are all excited that Bernd has chosen Arsenal Football Club and look forward to start working with him in pre-season.”
Leno’s shirt number will be announced in due course.