Arsenal sign Brazilian forward Martinelli
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal have made Gabriel Martinelli their first summer signing as the young Brazilian joins from Ituano on a long-term deal.
The 18-year-old had been linked with Arsenal for the past few months, and Unai Emery has now got his man.
Martinelli made a rapid rise during his short time at Ituano, making his debut in November 2017 aged just 16 years and nine months, before going on to score 10 goals from his 34 appearances for the Sao Paulo-based club.
The move is one that the winger has been dreaming of, telling Arsenal's official website: "It is a dream since I was a child and also my family's dream for me to be playing in Europe and playing for a big team like Arsenal. I am going to take this opportunity.
"I am a player who gives his all at all times, I play as a team and always looking to win games and win trophies."
You may also want to watch:
The 18-year-old's development was also recently acknowledged by the Brazilian national team, with a call-up to the full squad for a training camp in May ahead of the Copa America.
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 3 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 4 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 7 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 8 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 9 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing