Arsenal sign Henrikh Mkhitaryan in straight swap with Manchester United as Alexis Sanchez heads to Old Trafford
- Credit: Archant
Arsenal have completed the signing of midfielder Henrikh Mkhitaryan from Manchester United in a swap deal with Alexis Sanchez.
The transfer saga sees the wantaway Chilean – who had just six months remaining on his contract at the Emirates – move in the opposite direction and join Jose Mourinho’s side on a four and a half year deal.
Armenian international Mkhitaryan moves to North London after the 29-year-old nearly joined Arsenal in the summer of 2016 but the Red Devils won the race for his signature, completing a £26.3m deal to sign him from Borussia Dortmund.
Speaking to Arsenal.com Mhkitaryan said: “I’m very happy that we could finish this deal and I’m very happy to be here.
“It’s a dream come true because I’ve always dreamed of playing for Arsenal. Now that I’m here, I’ll do my best for this club to create history.”
You may also want to watch:
His game time has been limited by Mourinho and despite Mkhitaryan picking up five assists in his opening three games this term has only played 930 minutes of Premier League football in 2017/18 – making 63 appearances across all competitions in his year-and-a-half at Old Trafford.
Arsene Wenger added: “Henrikh is a very complete player. He creates chances, he defends well, he can absorb distances and he’s very committed as well. I must say he’s a player who has all the attributes.”
- 1 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 2 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 3 Islington shooting victim named
- 4 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 5 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 6 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 7 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 8 Islington is getting a big name restaurant
- 9 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 10 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting
The Frenchman will be hoping the Armenian displays the kind of form he showed in his final season at Dortmund, where he scored 23 goals and assisted 32 in 52 appearances across all competitions.
The former Shakhtar Donestk’s man is also the leading scorer of all time for Armenia with 25 goals in his 70 international caps.