Arsenal sign Henrikh Mkhitaryan in straight swap with Manchester United as Alexis Sanchez heads to Old Trafford
- Credit: Archant
Arsenal have completed the signing of midfielder Henrikh Mkhitaryan from Manchester United in a swap deal with Alexis Sanchez.
The transfer saga sees the wantaway Chilean – who had just six months remaining on his contract at the Emirates – move in the opposite direction and join Jose Mourinho’s side on a four and a half year deal.
Armenian international Mkhitaryan moves to North London after the 29-year-old nearly joined Arsenal in the summer of 2016 but the Red Devils won the race for his signature, completing a £26.3m deal to sign him from Borussia Dortmund.
Speaking to Arsenal.com Mhkitaryan said: “I’m very happy that we could finish this deal and I’m very happy to be here.
“It’s a dream come true because I’ve always dreamed of playing for Arsenal. Now that I’m here, I’ll do my best for this club to create history.”
You may also want to watch:
His game time has been limited by Mourinho and despite Mkhitaryan picking up five assists in his opening three games this term has only played 930 minutes of Premier League football in 2017/18 – making 63 appearances across all competitions in his year-and-a-half at Old Trafford.
Arsene Wenger added: “Henrikh is a very complete player. He creates chances, he defends well, he can absorb distances and he’s very committed as well. I must say he’s a player who has all the attributes.”
- 1 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 2 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 3 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 4 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 5 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 6 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 7 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 8 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 9 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 10 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
The Frenchman will be hoping the Armenian displays the kind of form he showed in his final season at Dortmund, where he scored 23 goals and assisted 32 in 52 appearances across all competitions.
The former Shakhtar Donestk’s man is also the leading scorer of all time for Armenia with 25 goals in his 70 international caps.