Arsenal sign Matteo Guendouzi from Lorient as Unai Emery hails French youth star
- Credit: Archant
Promising French midfielder Matteo Guendouzi has joined Arsenal from Ligue 2 side Lorient.
The 19-year-old started his career at the Paris Saint-Germain academy before joining Lorient’s academy in 2014.
He made his debut for Laurent Koscielny’s former side in 2016-17, making 30 appearances in total for the Brittany club.
The precocious teenager has appeared for the France U18, U19 and U20 sides including playing against England U18s at Peterborough in November 2016.
Head coach Unai Emery said: “We are delighted Matteo is joining us.
You may also want to watch:
“He is a talented young player and a lot of clubs were interested in him.
“He has big potential and gained good first-team experience last season with Lorient.
- 1 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 2 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 3 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 4 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 7 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 8 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 9 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 10 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
“He wants to learn and improve and will be an important part of our first-team squad.”