Arsenal sign Swedish international Samuelsson
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Arsenal Ladies have completed their first summer signing in the form of Sweden right-back Jessica Samuelsson.
The 25-year-old joins the Gunners from Swedish side Linkopings for the upcoming WSL season, which Arsenal start at home against Birmingham City on the September 24.
Samuelsson will provide competition in the right-back position for Alex Scott, who has over 100 caps for England.
And the newcomer certainly has plenty of experience, appearing for her country at the 2016 Olympics as her side picked up the silver medal after losing 2-1 to Germany in the final.
Arsenal manager Pedro Martinez Losa told the Arsenal website: “I’ve been impressed with her performances for a long time. She is recognised internationally as a strong and talented defender.”
You may also want to watch:
Samuelsson’s honours include a W-League title when playing for Melbourne Victory FC in Australia, while in Sweden she won a Svenska Cupen and a supercupen.
At international level, she won the Uefa Women’s under-19 Championship in 2012, as well as Olympic silver in Rio, and her signing should be a success in North London as the new campaign fast approaches.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 7 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 8 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 9 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 10 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London