Arsenal sign Swedish international Samuelsson
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Arsenal Ladies have completed their first summer signing in the form of Sweden right-back Jessica Samuelsson.
The 25-year-old joins the Gunners from Swedish side Linkopings for the upcoming WSL season, which Arsenal start at home against Birmingham City on the September 24.
Samuelsson will provide competition in the right-back position for Alex Scott, who has over 100 caps for England.
And the newcomer certainly has plenty of experience, appearing for her country at the 2016 Olympics as her side picked up the silver medal after losing 2-1 to Germany in the final.
Arsenal manager Pedro Martinez Losa told the Arsenal website: “I’ve been impressed with her performances for a long time. She is recognised internationally as a strong and talented defender.”
You may also want to watch:
Samuelsson’s honours include a W-League title when playing for Melbourne Victory FC in Australia, while in Sweden she won a Svenska Cupen and a supercupen.
At international level, she won the Uefa Women’s under-19 Championship in 2012, as well as Olympic silver in Rio, and her signing should be a success in North London as the new campaign fast approaches.
- 1 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street forces Moorfields Eye Hospital to close
- 2 London Assembly election 2021: Meet the north east candidates
- 3 Anti-LTN independent candidates deny creating new political party
- 4 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
- 5 Islington reports lowest coronavirus infection rate in London
- 6 Man, 70, charged with murder of Imani Allaway-Muir
- 7 Police appeal after moped rider left seriously injured in crash
- 8 What's opening in Islington when Covid lockdown rules ease on May 17?
- 9 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 10 Landlord of Tollington Arms - popular with Arsenal fans - faces eviction