Arsenal sign Swedish international Samuelsson
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Arsenal Ladies have completed their first summer signing in the form of Sweden right-back Jessica Samuelsson.
The 25-year-old joins the Gunners from Swedish side Linkopings for the upcoming WSL season, which Arsenal start at home against Birmingham City on the September 24.
Samuelsson will provide competition in the right-back position for Alex Scott, who has over 100 caps for England.
And the newcomer certainly has plenty of experience, appearing for her country at the 2016 Olympics as her side picked up the silver medal after losing 2-1 to Germany in the final.
Arsenal manager Pedro Martinez Losa told the Arsenal website: “I’ve been impressed with her performances for a long time. She is recognised internationally as a strong and talented defender.”
You may also want to watch:
Samuelsson’s honours include a W-League title when playing for Melbourne Victory FC in Australia, while in Sweden she won a Svenska Cupen and a supercupen.
At international level, she won the Uefa Women’s under-19 Championship in 2012, as well as Olympic silver in Rio, and her signing should be a success in North London as the new campaign fast approaches.
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Islington shooting victim named
- 3 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 4 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 5 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 6 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 7 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal
- 10 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting