Arsenal sign Uruguay World Cup star Lucas Torreira from Sampdoria
- Credit: Archant
The wait is finally over. Arsenal have signed Uruguay World Cup star Lucas Torreira from Serie A side Sampdoria in a £25 million deal on a five-year-contract.
The Gunners announced the eagerly-awaited transfer on Tuesday afternoon after the highly-rated defensive midfielder passed his medical.
The Fray Bentos-born 22-year-old started his youth career in Uruguay with IA 18 Julio before joining Montevideo Wanderers.
He moved to Italy in 2013 where he joined Pescara, making his debut as an 19-year-old in May 2015.
In July 2015, Lucas left for Samp, remaining at Pescara for the 2015-16 season, making 29 appearances in total that year in a successful bid to gain vital first team experience at a young age.
You may also want to watch:
During his time with the Genoa-based side he made 71 appearances as he rose to become an important member of the team.
Lucas, will wear the number 11 shirt – Mesut Ozil’s previous number after the German switched to the No 10 shirt following Jack Wilshere’s departure.
- 1 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 2 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 Islington shooting victim named
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 9 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal
- 10 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
The impressive Uruguayan will now have a post-World Cup break with head coach Unai Emery’s blessing and is set to join the squad in early August.