Arsenal star has history lesson about Gunners
- Credit: David Price / Arsenal Football C
Arsenal star Abou Diaby took time out of his battle to regain fitness for a crash course on the club’s history.
The midfielder, who is currently recovering from a knee injury, joined a group of young people and school children at Islington Museum where he learned about the club’s 100 years in the borough.
The museum, in St John Street, Finsbury, is currently hosting an exhibition entitled ‘It’s Arsenal around here’ which celebrates the club’s centenary in Islington with a range or rare an interesting artefacts.
Abou said: “It has been really good to find out more about the Club’s history and the reasons behind the move to north London 100 years ago.
“I’ve learnt a few things that I didn’t know before and coming here you realise just what Arsenal means to the people of Islington.”
The French star was joined at the exhibition by lifelong Gooner and current Mayor of Islington Cllr Barry Edwards and youngsters from Clerkenwell Parochial Church of England School.
Some of the many items on show include a copy of the original indenture for the rental of the Highbury site, a horseshoe that was found underneath the old North Bank and a scale model of the Highbury Square redevelopment.
- 1 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in north London
- 2 Man arrested, cyclist seriously injured after alleged hit and run
- 3 MP Claudia Webbe loses harassment conviction appeal - but sentence reduced
- 4 Jewish Heritage Trail project receives massive funding boost
- 5 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 6 New mayor to support Islington hospitals
- 7 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 8 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in north London
- 9 Plaistow police officer to face GBH trial after man left paralysed
- 10 Jailed: Members of 'sophisticated' drugs crime gang sentenced
Abou, who visited the museum on Thursday September 26, later joined Gunners legend Charlie George and children from the school and youth projects the club supports, in a quiz about Arsenal’s history.
‘It’s Arsenal around here’ runs at Islington Museum until 24 January 2014 and admission is free.
For more information visit www.islington.gov.uk