Arsenal star has history lesson about Gunners
- Credit: David Price / Arsenal Football C
Arsenal star Abou Diaby took time out of his battle to regain fitness for a crash course on the club’s history.
The midfielder, who is currently recovering from a knee injury, joined a group of young people and school children at Islington Museum where he learned about the club’s 100 years in the borough.
The museum, in St John Street, Finsbury, is currently hosting an exhibition entitled ‘It’s Arsenal around here’ which celebrates the club’s centenary in Islington with a range or rare an interesting artefacts.
Abou said: “It has been really good to find out more about the Club’s history and the reasons behind the move to north London 100 years ago.
“I’ve learnt a few things that I didn’t know before and coming here you realise just what Arsenal means to the people of Islington.”
You may also want to watch:
The French star was joined at the exhibition by lifelong Gooner and current Mayor of Islington Cllr Barry Edwards and youngsters from Clerkenwell Parochial Church of England School.
Some of the many items on show include a copy of the original indenture for the rental of the Highbury site, a horseshoe that was found underneath the old North Bank and a scale model of the Highbury Square redevelopment.
- 1 Dangerous driving complaints spur Holloway right-turn bans
- 2 Tributes paid to 'Gooner legend' who died of Covid 'caught at Euros final'
- 3 Upper Street coffee shop to start selling "quality" wine despite noise objections
- 4 More than 1,000 knives surrendered in Islington’s knife bins
- 5 Letters on Low Traffic Neighbourhoods
- 6 Letter on Holloway Prison site development
- 7 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 8 Emirates pop-up Covid-19 vaccine clinic opens for a second time
- 9 Covid-19 cases start to drop off in Islington
- 10 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
Abou, who visited the museum on Thursday September 26, later joined Gunners legend Charlie George and children from the school and youth projects the club supports, in a quiz about Arsenal’s history.
‘It’s Arsenal around here’ runs at Islington Museum until 24 January 2014 and admission is free.
For more information visit www.islington.gov.uk