Arsenal striker Vivianne Miedema voted WSL PFA player of the year
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
Arsenal striker Vivianne Miedema has been voted the WSL PFA Bristol Street Motors Fans’ Player of the Year for 2019/20 by football fans across the country.
Miedema topped the Women’s Super League goalscoring charts for 2019/20 as she hit 16 goals for the Gunners as they finished third on a points per games basis.
The Netherlands striker scored 10 with her right foot, four with her left foot and two with her head in the league as she netted a further ten in the Champions League.
Miedema also had a few injury problems to cope with, which makes her achievement even better, and one game that will never be forgotten is the 11-1 victory over Bristol City in December.
She became the first player in WSL history to contribute to 10 goals in a single game when the Gunners demolished the Robins in that famous victory at Meadow Park.
You may also want to watch:
It’s the second consecutive season that Miedema won the Golden Boot award and what is remarkable about her goal tally is that none of her 16 strikes came from the penalty spot.
Miedema also ended the season with the most assists (eight) to show she isn’t just a goalscorer, but one of the most unselfish players in the game.
- 1 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 2 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Islington shooting victim named
- 9 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting
- 10 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
She also scored two European hat-tricks during the season in both Champions league ties against Slavia Prague as the Gunners won 5-2 away and 8-0 at home.
The 24-year-old faced strong competition for the award from Chelsea trio Bethany England, Guro Reiten and Sophie Ingle, as well as Chloe Kelly of Everton who transferred to Manchester City this summer and Manchester City goalkeeper Ellie Roebuck.
Miedema adds this award to the BBC Sport player and young player of the season as well as the Football Writers Association Women’s Footballer of the Year awards she’s picked up this year.
Liz Cope, chief marketing officer of Bristol Street Motors, said: “We are very proud to support the Women’s PFA Bristol Street Motors Fans’ Player of the Month Award. This award is the first of its kind and acknowledges the talent, hard work and determination shown by the players throughout the season.”