Arsenal target Frieburg’s highly-rated Caglar Soyuncu as Turkish reports claim Sven Mislintat ‘keen’ on Freiburg’s ‘new Puyol’
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
The agent of Arsenal transfer target Caglar Soyuncu has denied Unai Emery is interested in signing the highly-rated £35 million defender taking the Bundesliga by storm.
Reports from Turkey had suggested the Gunners were closely linked with a move for Freiburg defender Soyuncu this summer with head of recruitment Sven Mislintat also said to be keen on the player.
The 22-year-old has been impressing for Christian Streich’s side at the Scharzwald-Stadion following his signing from Altinordu for £2m on a five-year deal in 2016 where he became the club’s first Turkish international for 78 years.
The talented centre-half made his debut for Frieburg in 2016-17 and has featured in every Bundesliga match Steich’s side has played for the last two seasons – with his consistency earning him a place on the shortlist for Bundesliga ‘rookie of the year’ last term.
He has been compared to former Borussia Dortmund centre-back Mats Hummels who now plys his trade at Bayern Munich.
You may also want to watch:
He has also been likened to his idol Carlos Puyol as he is a strong tackler and effective in the air with a strong technique with some seasoned observers hailing him as the ‘new Puyol’.
However, Soyuncu’s agent Mustafa Dogru has rubbished any immediate hopes of the Izmir-born defender moving to London.
- 1 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 2 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 3 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 4 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 5 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 6 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 7 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 8 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 9 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 10 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
According to the ‘Turkish Football’ website Dogru said: “Sven Mislintat is keen on him but we are currently not in direct negotiations with the club.
“Arsenal have not held official talks with us.
“We have made it clear to Freiburg that Caglar wants to leave over the summer.
“Clubs from England, Spain and Italy have expressed an interest but they have to reach an agreement with Freiburg first.
“Playing in the Premier League is what most footballers aim for.”