Arsenal to face Serie A giants AC Milan in Europa League last 16
- Credit: Archant
The draw for the last 16 of the Europa League has just taken place in Nyon.
Arsenal have been drawn against Serie A giants AC Milan in the Europa League.
Despite Arsenal’s 2-1 defeat by an Graham Potter’s impressive FK Ostersunds side at the Emirates on Thursday evening at the Emirates Arsene Wenger’s side edged through 4-2 on aggregate to enable their name to be in draw along with 15 other sides across Europe.
The teams last played each other in the first knockout stage in the Champions League during the 2007-08 season.
The first match was a 0-0 draw at the Emirates on February 20, 2008 before Arsenal achieved one of their greatest European results after they came away from the mighty San Siro with a 2-0 victory over the reigning champions.
You may also want to watch:
Goals from Emanuel Adebayor and Cesc Fabregas clinched the victory against Carlo Ancelotti’s Rossoneiri to reach the last eight.
However they were to suffer heartbreak at Anfield in the quarter finals after losing 4-2 following a 1-1 draw in North London.
- 1 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 2 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 3 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 4 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 5 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 6 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
- 7 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 8 Campaign groups link up for Hackney Town Hall anti-road closure demo
- 9 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 10 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
Arsenal also contested a two legged tie against Milan for the European Super Cup. After a goalless draw at Highbury in front of 38,041 they lost 2-0 at the San Siro.
The first leg will take place in Italy on Thursday, March 8 with the second leg at the Emirates on Thursday, March 15.
The last eight due to be played on Thursday, April 5 and Thursday, April 12 with the semi-finals scheduled for Thursday, April 26 and Thursday, May 3.
The Europa League final is due to be staged in Lyon on Wednesday, May 16.