Arsenal to sign defender Sead Kolasinac from Schalke when contract expires
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Bosnian left-back pens ‘long-term deal’ with Gunners
Arsenal have made their first move of the summer transfer window by signing left-back Sead Kolasinac from Bundesliga club Schalke.
The 23-year-old arrives in north London on a free transfer having signed a ‘long-term deal’, believed to be five years.
Kolasinac, who turns 24 on June 20, will link up with the Gunners when his contract with the Germans expires on July 1.
The left-back players internationally for Bosnia & Herzegovina and has amassed 18 caps, despite being born and raised in Germany.
You may also want to watch:
Kolasinac can also fill in at centre-back and defensive midfield, so his versatility could be a positive for Arsene Wenger’s men next term.
In his favoured left-back role, though, Kolasinac will likely compete with Nacho Monreal and Kieran Gibbs for a starting slot.
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 3 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 4 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 5 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 6 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 7 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 8 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 9 Eidevall says Arsenal put 'pressure on themselves' to deliver in big games
- 10 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
Kolasinac’s arrival, though, could cast further doubt over Gibbs’ future, with the Arsenal youth product struggling for starts last term and with just 12 months left on his contract.