Arsenal to sign defender Sead Kolasinac from Schalke when contract expires
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Bosnian left-back pens ‘long-term deal’ with Gunners
Arsenal have made their first move of the summer transfer window by signing left-back Sead Kolasinac from Bundesliga club Schalke.
The 23-year-old arrives in north London on a free transfer having signed a ‘long-term deal’, believed to be five years.
Kolasinac, who turns 24 on June 20, will link up with the Gunners when his contract with the Germans expires on July 1.
The left-back players internationally for Bosnia & Herzegovina and has amassed 18 caps, despite being born and raised in Germany.
You may also want to watch:
Kolasinac can also fill in at centre-back and defensive midfield, so his versatility could be a positive for Arsene Wenger’s men next term.
In his favoured left-back role, though, Kolasinac will likely compete with Nacho Monreal and Kieran Gibbs for a starting slot.
- 1 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 2 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
- 8 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
Kolasinac’s arrival, though, could cast further doubt over Gibbs’ future, with the Arsenal youth product struggling for starts last term and with just 12 months left on his contract.