Arsenal transfer round-up January 12: Malcom, Mahrez and Lemar mooted as Alexis Sanchez replacements
- Credit: Sky Sports
As Francis Coquelin departs for Valencia and speculation rising over the future of Alexis Sanchez, with Manchester United joining the race for the unsettled Chilean, the majority of Arsenal transfer talk surrounds replacements for the wantaway Chilean – and we can bring you some positive updates on three potential targets.
With talks reportedly beginning between Bordeaux winger Malcom and the Gunners, Brazilian football website UOL are now reporting the Brazilian has chosen to move to N5 ahead of Manchester United and Tottenham.
The 20-year-old has decided on a move to the Emirates because of a desire to work under Arsene Wenger. This deal seems to be progressing nicely but will the £44m-rated wide man be in an Arsenal shirt come the end of the month?
According to the Daily Express, Malcom is not the only player who prefers a move to the Gunners over their Premier League rivals.
The newspaper are reporting North London as Riyad Mahrez’s preferred destination – should he leave Leicester City of course – despite interest from Liverpool as they look to replace Philippe Coutinho.
You may also want to watch:
However, the player’s representatives are claiming no contact has been made by the Gunners. It’s always nice to be at the front of the queue though.
Could Arsenal also beat Liverpool to another key target?
- 1 Upper Street flat attack: Man, 58, stabbed in neck and back
- 2 Finsbury Park sex assault: Man arrested on suspicion of rape
- 3 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 4 Survey: Where are the safest and most unsafe streets where you live?
- 5 Police investigate alleged Finsbury Park rape
- 6 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 7 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 8 Hundreds are heirs to an estate and may not even know
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn echoes Iain Duncan Smith's call to review £1.2bn incinerator plans
- 10 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
French sports news agency, RMC Sport, are reporting Arsenal are leading the chase to sign highly coveted Monaco winger Thomas Lemar.
Arsene Wenger saw a £92m bid rejected for the 22-year-old on transfer deadline day last summer but, he could now land his compatriot for a cut price £61m. However, any deal for the Frenchman would require Sanchez to depart the Emirates.
The signing of two wingers may have to be made, if Sam Allardyce gets his way.
As reported earlier in the Islington Gazette Everton are extremely keen to close the deal for Theo Walcott.