Liverpool 5-1 Arsenal: Firmino treble smashes sorry Gunners
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
Arsenal travelled to Anfield to take on Liverpool on Saturday. Read on for Layth Yousif’s match report.
Unai Emery’s sorry Arsenal lost 5-1 to Liverpool at Anfield.
Roberto Firmino grabbed a treble as Jurgen Klopp’s Reds moved nine points clear at the top of the Premier League after routing the outclassed Gunners on Merseyside.
In the hectic opening stages Ainsley Maitland-Niles notched his first goal for the North Londoners with 11 minutes gone.
However a rapid Roberto Firmino brace – the second after a superb individual drive – saw the Reds go 2-1 ahead five minutes later.
You may also want to watch:
Mo Salah set up Sadio Mane for the home side’s third goal before the Egyptian international slotted home from the penalty spot in first-half injury time.
Firmino then sealed his hat-trick with Klopp side’s second penalty of the match on 65 minutes after Arsenal defender Sead Kolasinac was penalised for a foul on Dejan Lovren.
- 1 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 2 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 3 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 4 Clerkenwell fire: Margery Street office block blaze under investigation
- 5 Finsbury Park house to be transformed for ‘Halloween experience’
- 6 Tony Blair joins celebration to mark 101 years of Highbury Catholic church
- 7 Tree wardens to be recruited on every Islington estate 'to advocate for trees'
- 8 'Help! I found a lizard in my luggage after my holiday'
- 9 Stunning photos show how King's Cross has changed in 20 years
- 10 Run Kids Run: Huge fun run raises £40,000 for Islington primary schools
Liverpool are now unbeaten after 20 league games with the trip to Manchester City looming in five days – but with a seven-point advantage over their North-West rivals.
Emery’s Gunners stay in fifth but with one win in four league matches – two points adrift of the coveted top four places.