Arsenal v Southampton: your best bets
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
With the international break over, domestic league action takes centre stage once more as teams endeavour to either retain early-season momentum, or else discover it for the first time since the new campaign began.
Mid-September league tables appear to confirm the old adage that while it’s difficult to win the title at this stage of the season, it’s easy enough to lose it.
Arsenal will be mindful of this when they host Southampton at the Emirates on Saturday, particularly as the visitors arrive in north London as Betway’s frothy-looking 5/1 underdogs to take three points.
Yet according to the match stats team at bettingexpert.com, half of the pair’s last 10 league matches have ended all-square, while Arsenal have beaten the Saints just once in their last half dozen encounters. With a record like this, Marathonbet’s 5/8 for Arsenal to secure three points looks like one for the brave.
Indeed, given the recent propensity for this fixture to end with honours even, bet365’s 3/1 odds for Saturday’s match to finish on level terms looks good value.
Furthermore, considering the paucity of goals when the two have gone head-to-head in north London, Ladbrokes’ 11/1 for it to end as a goal-less draw cannot be discounted. The same could be said of the 9/2 posted by Winner.com against the match being level at 45 and at 90 minutes.
Bookmakers consider the chances of Saturday’s contest being another low-scoring affair as ‘strong’ and punters who agree can get 4/5 (Betway) about it yielding fewer than 2.5 goals.
One goal could be enough to settle it and Arsenal are 11/10 (Paddy Power) to grab the opener, though Saints’ danger man Shane Long is rated a 16/5 shot with Unibet to score at any time.
Odds supplied by www.smartbets.com, the customisable odds comparison site
- 1 'Rest in peace child': Tributes paid to teenager stabbed to death
- 2 Community bus serving Islington and Hackney cancelled after surging fuel prices
- 3 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 4 West Hampstead man fatally stabbed in Ealing
- 5 Met Office: Thunderstorm warning issued for London
- 6 Arteta's Arsenal plan coming together nicely
- 7 Teenage Highbury Fields fatal stabbing victim named by police
- 8 Teenager arrested in Deshuan Tuitt murder investigation
- 9 Angel station closures on one in five days due to staff shortages
- 10 Finsbury Park man due in court charged with pub murder
Offer of the week
n Receive a welcome bonus of up to £200 at Winner.com. For further details, visit bettingexpert.com