Arsenal v Southampton: your best bets
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
With the international break over, domestic league action takes centre stage once more as teams endeavour to either retain early-season momentum, or else discover it for the first time since the new campaign began.
Mid-September league tables appear to confirm the old adage that while it’s difficult to win the title at this stage of the season, it’s easy enough to lose it.
Arsenal will be mindful of this when they host Southampton at the Emirates on Saturday, particularly as the visitors arrive in north London as Betway’s frothy-looking 5/1 underdogs to take three points.
Yet according to the match stats team at bettingexpert.com, half of the pair’s last 10 league matches have ended all-square, while Arsenal have beaten the Saints just once in their last half dozen encounters. With a record like this, Marathonbet’s 5/8 for Arsenal to secure three points looks like one for the brave.
Indeed, given the recent propensity for this fixture to end with honours even, bet365’s 3/1 odds for Saturday’s match to finish on level terms looks good value.
Furthermore, considering the paucity of goals when the two have gone head-to-head in north London, Ladbrokes’ 11/1 for it to end as a goal-less draw cannot be discounted. The same could be said of the 9/2 posted by Winner.com against the match being level at 45 and at 90 minutes.
You may also want to watch:
Bookmakers consider the chances of Saturday’s contest being another low-scoring affair as ‘strong’ and punters who agree can get 4/5 (Betway) about it yielding fewer than 2.5 goals.
One goal could be enough to settle it and Arsenal are 11/10 (Paddy Power) to grab the opener, though Saints’ danger man Shane Long is rated a 16/5 shot with Unibet to score at any time.
Odds supplied by www.smartbets.com, the customisable odds comparison site
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 3 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 6 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 7 Letters on People Friendly Streets in St Peter's
- 8 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 9 Islington: Housing team failed to answer 50% of calls during lockdown
- 10 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
Offer of the week
n Receive a welcome bonus of up to £200 at Winner.com. For further details, visit bettingexpert.com