WSL: Arsenal Women 4 Charlton Athletic 0
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Beth Mead inspired Arsenal to a 4-0 win over Charlton Athletic at Meadow Park, keeping them top of the FA Women’s Continental League Cup group B.
Mead registered a goal and two assists, while Danielle Van De Donk bagged two goals as Arsenal showed their class against FA Women's Championship bottom club Charlton.
Centre-back Jennifer Beattie opened the scoring after a decent start by Charlton, but Arsenal quickly took control and produced a dominant display.
The hosts controlled the match early on but struggled to create too many clear openings, with their best chance in the first 30 minutes coming when Van De Donk shot just over on 22 minutes.
On 35 minutes Arsenal's pressure finally told when Beattie finished smartly from a Mead free-kick to make it 1-0.
You may also want to watch:
Arsenal had their second on half-time following a neat passing move, which allowed Mead to release Van De Donk inside the box, who slid the ball below Charlton goalkeeper Katie Startup.
After the break Arsenal continued their dominance and had their third on 48 minutes after Mead played a one-two with Jordan Nobbs from a corner and dispatched the return pass into the bottom corner.
- 1 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 2 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 5 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 6 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 7 Campaign groups link up for Hackney Town Hall anti-road closure demo
- 8 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
- 9 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 10 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
Two minutes later Van De Donk had a second when her left footed shot squeezed between the legs of goalkeeper Startup.
Vivianne Miedema left the field with an injury late on, leaving Arsenal to finish the game with 10 players.
Arsenal manager Joe Montemurro: "We had to put it as part of the build-up to next week, so we were getting minutes in players that haven't played much and getting game rhythm was the most important thing.
"At times we had ups and downs but all in all a clean and comfortable win. We need everyone ready for every moment and any situation but the most important thing is all of the players wanted to play and wanted to be involved.
"There wasn't anyone who wanted to be rested which is great. It's unusual we have a full week and we build for what is a very crucial game for us [against Manchester City].
"We need to make sure we maintain status against the teams we should be beating while also taking points off the competition but we take each game on its own and have respect for each team.
"Miedema has a kick to the calf but she should be fine for next week."
Arsenal (4-3-3): Zinsberger; Mitchell, Beattie, Quinn, Veje; Walti (Little 62), Nobbs, Roord; Van De Donk (Evans 72), Miedema, Mead (McCabe 72).
Unused subs: Peyraud-Magnin, Williamson.
*To follow the action, buy tickets and sign-up for The FA Player's live Barclays FA Women's Super League coverage visit womenscompetitions.thefa.com.