Arsenal Women 5-0 Liverpool Women: Hot-shot striker Vivianne Miedema grabs hat-trick as impressive Gunners dominate
- Credit: Archant
Striker Vivianne Miedema netted a treble as a dominant Arsenal kicked-off the Women’s Super League One season with a 5-0 rout of Liverpool.
The 22-year-old former Bayern Munich attacker opened the scoring on six minutes after she slotted home from close range following Katie McCabe’s cross to put Joe Montemurruo’s impressive Gunners 1-0 ahead at Boreham Wood on Sunday afternoon.
The Netherlands international striker then turned provider to set up Lisa Evans to make it 2-0 eight minutes later.
The 5ft 9in Hoogeveen-born former Heerenveen forward was the architect as Kim Little showed composure to finish past shellshocked Reds keeper Anke Preuss ten minutes before half-time before Miedema scuffed in the fourth 240 seconds later as Arsenal went into the break 4-0 up.
She then completed her treble – the first by an Arsenal player in the WSL since Gunners and England legend Kelly Smith four years ago – by aiming a powerful drive into the roof of the net with moments remaining after being teed up by McCabe following an indirect free-kick in the box.
You may also want to watch:
Arsenal were majestic as they showed excellent movement on and off the flair, supplemented with touch, tecnhique and flair allied with a high intensity which never allowed the beleagured visitors to settle.
It could have been more as the influential Jordan Nobbs fired across the face of goal late on.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 8 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 9 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild
- 10 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
Liverpool’s best chance was a dangerous long-range shot by Christie Murray’s which was tipped over by keeper Pauline Peyraud-Magnin.
Arsenal (4-3-3): Pauline Peyraud-Magnin; Lisa Evans, Dominique Bloodworth, Louise Quinn, Katie McCabe; Kim Little, Lia Walti, Jordan Nobbs; Danielle van de Donk, Vivianne Miedema, Beth Mead
Substitutes: Jessica Samuelsson for Evans 67; Ava Kuyken for Little 83
Substitutes not used: Sari van Veenendaal, Emma Mitchell
Goals: Miedema 6, 39, 90, Evans 14, Little 35
Liverpool (5-3-1-1): Anke Preuss; Satara Murray, Sophie Bradley-Auckland, Leandra Little, Jasmine Matthews, Leighanne Robe; Niamh Fahey, Laura Coombs, Christie Murray; Niamh Charles; Jess Clarke
Substitutes: Rinsola Babajide for Little 45; Courtney Sweetman-Kirk for Charles 81
Substitutes not used: Fran Kitching, Amy Rodgers, Missy Bo Kearns, , Yana Daniels, Kristy Linnett
Bookings: Fahey 81
Referee: Jason Richardson
Follow Arsenal reporter Layth on Twitter @Laythy29 and join the Islington Gazette Arsenal Facebook page for more