Arsenal Women add Australian international Foord to squad
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal Women have signed Australian international Caitlin Foord ahead of Sunday’s FA Cup tie at West Ham United.
The 25-year-old has won 77 caps for the Matildas, including four appearances at the 2019World Cup in France.
Foord can operate as a right or left winger or wing-back and as a centre-forward and will wear the number 19 shirt in North London.
Portland traded their rights to Foord with Orlando Pride earlier in January as part of a switch of draft picks, but Arsenal have brought in Foord on a full-time basis from Sydney and Orlando, who she did not feature for.
Foord has been in excellent form during the current W-League season, scoring twice and registering four assists for Sydney.
You may also want to watch:
She was also part of the squad that saw Portland Thorns reach the National Women's Soccer League play-offs at the end of last year.
Foord will join up with her Arsenal team-mates in mid-February, with her being part of the Australia squad tasked with securing Olympic qualification over the next few weeks.
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 3 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 4 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 5 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 6 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 7 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 8 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 9 Eidevall says Arsenal put 'pressure on themselves' to deliver in big games
- 10 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
Manager Joe Montemurro told arsenal.com: "I'm very pleased that Caitlin has joined us. I have watched her growth in the W-League and she is versatile and a great character. We are excited to welcome her when she joins up with the squad."
Arsenal travel to West Ham in the FA Cup on Sunday hoping to put last week's dissapointing defeat against Chelsea behind them which saw the defending champions drop to second in the WSL.