Arsenal Women back at work ahead of Champions League
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
Arsenal Women stepped up their preparations for their UEFA Champions League tournament as they returned to training this week.
The Gunners take on Paris Saint-Germain at the Anoeta Stadium in San Sebastian on August 22, having not played since the Continental Cup final on February 28.
After losing 2-1 to Chelsea in Nottingham, they saw the 2019-20 Super League season suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic, before a decision was taken to end the campaign in May.
The defending WSL champions finished third, missing out on Champions League qualification, but will secure a spot for 2020-21 if they win next month’s tournament.
Manager Joe Montemurro returned to lead the session on Tuesday, having been back in Australia for personal reasons before lockdown was imposed, and new signing Steph Catley joined in with the group for the first time since signing from Melbourne City.
You may also want to watch:
Due to the risk of cross-contamination with the men, the Arsenal Women are currently training at the Hale End Academy after 802 tests were carried out for COVID-19 across the WSL and FA Women’s Championship, with one returned positive.
- 1 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 2 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 3 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 4 Letters: Fighting to keep Wray Crescent Park available to all
- 5 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
- 6 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 7 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhood scheme
- 8 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 9 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 10 Campaign groups link up for Hackney Town Hall anti-road closure demo