Arsenal Women to face Fiorentina in Champions League
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
WSL Champions Arsenal Women have been paired with Serie A runners-up Fiorentina on the last 32 of this seasons UEFA Women’s Champions League.
The Gunners are the only British team to have won the competition, in their historic quadruple-winning season of 2007.
Joe Montemurro's side have began their pre-season preparations with a 3-0 loss to Wolfsburg in Austria before going down 5-2 to Barcelona on Wednesday evening.
Arsenal, who were unseeded in the draw, will host the Italians in the first leg, with matches to take place on September, 11/12 with the return fixtures on September 25/26.
Meanwhile, goalkeeper Fran Stenson has joined the club on a long-term contract from Manchester City.
You may also want to watch:
The 18-year-old stopper has represented England at U15, U16 and U17 level.
Stenson started her career at Birmingham City and made her professional debut in October 2017 during a 2-1 win over Everton in the FA WSL.
- 1 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 2 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
- 8 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
She will compete with Pauline Peyraud Magnin and fellow summer signing Manuela Zinsberger for the number 1 jersey this season.