Arsenal Women 2-1 Birmingham City Women: PLAYER RATINGS
- Credit: Archant
Arsenal Women’s team had the opportunity to reach the semi-finals of the FA Women’s Continental League Cup on Wednesday evening when they hosted Birmingham City Women at Meadow Park. Read on for Layth Yousif’s PLAYER RATINGS.
Sari van Veenendaal: 8 - Performed a superb penalty save with 20 minutes gone from Blues No25 Aoife Mannion diving full length to her right to keep the ball out.
Katrine Veje: 7 - Elegant touch. Solid defensively while always looking to instigate attacks before making way for Lisa Evans midway through the second half
Janni Arnth: 7 - Aimed to build on her goalscoring debut against West Ham on Sunday. Yet it was her defensive solidity which rightly came to the fore against a lively City side
You may also want to watch:
Louise Quinn: 7 - A towering physical presence who marshalled the backline effectively during a number of dangerous forays from the Blues
Danielle van de Donk: 7.5 - Proved equally adept at breaking up Blues attacks with well-timed interceptions as she did in instigating counters. A class act who deserved her late goal
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 5 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 6 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 7 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 8 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 9 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 10 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
Kim Little: 7 - Put in a shift
Vivianne Miedema: 7.5 - A powerhouse of a striker but was forced to feed off scraps in the first half as City put the Gunners on the back foot. Could perhaps have angled a second half header more accurately when well-placed. Deserved her late goal to record a dramatic late victory
Katie McCabe: 6.5 - Tenacious in defence. Always looked to supplement colleague further up the field by prompting attacks from the left flank
Liz Walti: 6.5 – Another who worked hard but was unable to influence proceedings on a difficult night
Dominique Bloodworth: 7 - Another attack minded defender who was pinned back by Birmingham’s high press. An excellent player who along with many in red and white did not have her best game
Beth Mead: 6.5 - Not as influential as she would have liked after her stellar performance during the 4-2 victory over West Ham at the weekend but it wasn’t for the want of trying
Lisa Evans: 6 - On for Veje midway through the second half
Leah Williamson: 7- On for Bloodworth and injected a touch more activity ahead of the equaliser
Birmingham City Women:
Hannah Hampton: 7
Meaghan Sargeant: 7
Hayley Ladd: 7
Kerys Harrop: 7
Chloe Arthur: 7
Lucy Quinn: 7.5
Emma Folils: 7
Charlie Wellings: 7
Harriet Scott: 7.5
Aoife Mannion: 6.5
Lucy Staniforth: 7
Paige Williams: 6.5 - On for Follis