Arsenal youngster aims to extend his run of goals against Fulham at Emirates Stadium
- Credit: EMPICS Sport
Teenager Alex Iwobi is hoping to continue his scoring streak at Emirates Stadium when Arsenal’s Under-21 side face Fulham in their league opener on Friday.
The 19-year-old forward grabbed a hat-trick last time the Under-21s featured at the Emirates in April, helping his side to a 4-1 victory against Stoke.
Since then, Iwobi has also been on target for the Gunners’ first team at their home ground, scoring in the 6-0 rout of Lyon during the Emirates Cup last month.
“It [the Stoke game] was probably one of my first games playing up front for the Under-21s,” said Iwobi.
“When you have [Abou] Diaby assisting you, it makes life a lot easier.
“He made my life a lot easier by giving me chances to score and I took those, so it was good. I’ve proven I can score goals now.
“Playing on the wing, I always used to aim for assists but when I’m playing up front it’s all about the goals. I’ve got a few tricks in my locker as well, so hopefully I add a little bit of flavour to the team.
- 1 'Rest in peace child': Tributes paid to teenager stabbed to death
- 2 Community bus serving Islington and Hackney cancelled after surging fuel prices
- 3 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 4 West Hampstead man fatally stabbed in Ealing
- 5 Met Office: Thunderstorm warning issued for London
- 6 Arteta's Arsenal plan coming together nicely
- 7 Teenage Highbury Fields fatal stabbing victim named by police
- 8 Teenager arrested in Deshuan Tuitt murder investigation
- 9 Finsbury Park man due in court charged with pub murder
- 10 Inside the esports gaming arena coming to Islington's Upper Street
“It’s great to play on an amazing pitch in front of so many fans – I can’t describe how it feels to walk out and look around at this huge stadium. I’m trying to keep a straight face but inside I’m absolutely buzzing.”
Tickets for the Fulham game, which kicks off at 7pm, are available free to platinum, gold, silver, red and Junior Gunner members until 10am on matchday. Subject to availability, tickets will then go on general sale.
The Gunners are also playing another Under-21 Premier League fixture at the Emirates later this month, against West Ham United on Friday August 28 (7pm).