Arsene Wenger hails Olivier Giroud’s Anfield performance ‘precious’ as Jurgen Klopp insists 3-3 draw was one of the games of the season
- Credit: Archant
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger was remarkably upbeat following Liverpool’s last minute equaliser against his team which forced a 3-3 draw with his aspiring title-challengers.
Despite leading 3-2 with for 35 minutes after Oliver Giroud netted the Gunners’ third on 55 minutes, Reds substitute Joe Allen fired in an 89th minute leveller which denied the North Londoner’s a vital win in their hunt for a first Premier League title in 12 years.
Wenger speaking during his post-match press conference after an entertaining game at a sleet-lashed Anfield said he took positives from the game.
He said: “Of course I am frustrated. At 3-2 up we had three situations to make it 4-2 but we made a bad decision. It was a big opportunity to win the game.
“There is also frustration that we conceded a goal in the last minute – but that can happen in England.
You may also want to watch:
“It was an entertaining game. I headed every ball out there.
“Both teams showed great character and attacking intent tonight.
- 1 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 2 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 3 Consultation launches on St Peter’s people-friendly streets scheme
- 4 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 5 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 6 'We will miss you': Tufnell Park's Ruby Violet ice cream parlour to close
- 7 £1.5m revamp of Stroud Green Primary School given go-ahead
- 8 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 9 'Holborn isn't the only dangerous junction for cyclists and pedestrians'
- 10 Covid delays Finsbury Park murder suspect's bail hearing
“Olivier Giroud was precious for us tonight. He battled well against their two centre halves and scored a good goal.
“I can take a lot of positives from our performance this evening. I can take a lot more positives than negatives.
“It is never easy to come to Anfield.”
Speaking of a minor touchline spat between Jurgen Klopp and himself during a passionate first half he joked: “I just told Jurgen to calm down as they send you to the stands over here.”
Klopp later added; “I have every respect for Arsene Wenger – there were absolutely no problems between us.”
Liverpool’s German boss also spoke about Giroud’s effort saying it was a great goal, and that the Frenchman played well.
He explained: “Everyone knows Arsenal are a great attacking team. We had to defend better for their goals.
“Giroud is a big player for them. But I could also talk about Firminio’s performance for a long time.
“I feel a mixture of pride and disappointment at the result. We played very well too.
“It was a game people will talk about,
“Both teams played great football. It was one of the games of the season.”