Arsene Wenger pays tribute to Arsenal fans and wishes Sir Alex Ferguson well
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsene Wenger sent his best wishes to old foe turned friend Sir Alex Ferguson in a moving speech after the final whistle of his final game at the Emirates as Arsenal boss before going on to praise Gunners fans.
Wenger speaking to the crowd moments after his side beat Burnley 5-0 on Sunday showed his dignity and class by first wishing the stricken former Manchester United manager well.
The Frenchman said: “Before I start I just want to say that at Arsenal we care and I would like to wish my fellow manager Ferguson well, very quickly.
“Thank you for having me for such a long time but above all, I’m like you - I’m an Arsenal fan.”
Wenger, who has been in charge for 22 years was handed the gold Premier League trophy the club were awarded after winning the 2003-04 title following an unbeaten 38 league-match campaign.
You may also want to watch:
He added: “I will always be an Arsenal fan. It is what unites us in every cell of our body, those dreams and worries.
“I would like to thank everyone at the club who makes this club so special.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 5 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 6 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 7 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 8 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 9 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 10 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
“This group of players has special quality, not only on the pitch, but off it too. Support them next season, because they deserve it.
“I will miss you. Thank you for being such an important part of my life. I hope to see you soon.”