Arsene Wenger praises ‘sensational’ Arsenal fans during 2-2 draw with Manchester City – but ‘No New Contract’ protests intensify
- Credit: Archant
Under fire Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger praised fans for being ‘sensational’ – despite his team dropping two more points in the race for a top four spot after the 2-2 draw with Manchester City at the Emirates this afternoon.
The long-serving Frenchman who again refused to confirm his future spoke in glowing terms about Arsenal supporters.
Despite unconfirmed reports of fighting between different sections of the club’s fan base after today’s match – which saw a number of protestors hire a truck with a 2011 quote from Ivan Gazidis stating ‘Arsene is accountable to the fans’ before the game – manager Wenger hailed today’s support.
Speaking after the game which saw the Gunners drop two more points in their bid to finish in the top four he said: “Despite all that happens on the fans front I thought our fans were fantastic today. In very difficult moments in the game I felt our fans rallied.
“At 2-1 just before half time our fans could have turned against us but they were absolutely sensational today to help the team get through difficult moments.
You may also want to watch:
“What is important for me is what happens inside the pitch and inside the stadium and I feel the fans were absolutely outstanding today.”
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 3 Letters on People Friendly Streets in St Peter's
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 6 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 7 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 8 Islington kids are being 'drawn into county lines drug smuggling'
- 9 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 10 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault