Arteta assured over Xhaka future as Arsenal boss praises key man
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Granit Xhaka has assured Mikel Arteta that he will stay at Arsenal after being linked with a January exit, and the Gunners boss was quick to praise the midfielder after a standout display in the 2-0 win over Manchester United.
The 27-year-old has been linked with a move to German side Hertha Berlin this month, but Arteta revealed that the Swiss international has told him he wants to stay.
The Arsenal boss was also full of praise for Xhaka and emphasised his importance, describing him as a 'tremendous player'.
"Yes, he did [give me that reassurance]. I think he is going to stay," said Arteta.
"He was very good against United, and I really like him. With the way we want to play, if we get him on board I think he can be a tremendous player for the football club.
You may also want to watch:
"I like everything about him. His commitment, I like the way he is, the way he lifts his profession, how focused he is.
"Every time I am talking, he is listening and is willing to learn.
- 1 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 2 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 5 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 6 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Islington shooting victim named
- 9 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 10 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
"He is a great football player.
"The way we want to play, there are not many with his quality on the ball, his range of pass, so I am delighted to have him."