Arteta assured over Xhaka future as Arsenal boss praises key man
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Granit Xhaka has assured Mikel Arteta that he will stay at Arsenal after being linked with a January exit, and the Gunners boss was quick to praise the midfielder after a standout display in the 2-0 win over Manchester United.
The 27-year-old has been linked with a move to German side Hertha Berlin this month, but Arteta revealed that the Swiss international has told him he wants to stay.
The Arsenal boss was also full of praise for Xhaka and emphasised his importance, describing him as a 'tremendous player'.
"Yes, he did [give me that reassurance]. I think he is going to stay," said Arteta.
"He was very good against United, and I really like him. With the way we want to play, if we get him on board I think he can be a tremendous player for the football club.
You may also want to watch:
"I like everything about him. His commitment, I like the way he is, the way he lifts his profession, how focused he is.
"Every time I am talking, he is listening and is willing to learn.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 6 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 7 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 8 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
"He is a great football player.
"The way we want to play, there are not many with his quality on the ball, his range of pass, so I am delighted to have him."