Aubameyang eyeing Pepe partnership after striker fires Arsenal to Newcastle win
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Premier League defences are set for the terrifying prospect of facing Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Nicolas Pepe and Alexandre Lacazette very soon, after the Gabon striker admitted he is looking forward to playing with the club’s record signing.
Aubameyang scored the winner in the Gunners' opening Premier League game at Newcastle on Sunday with a deft lob, and he also played 20 minutes with Pepe - who arrived from Lille over the summer in a £72m deal - after he came off the bench for his debut on Tyneside.
Last season's top scorer can't wait for Pepe to be named in the starting XI, saying: "I'm looking forward to it, because he's a really great player.
"He's already shown in training that he's capable of doing great things with us.
"Hopefully he will start soon."
You may also want to watch:
Aubameyang was also pleased with Arsenal victory on Sunday, adding: "I think we fought a lot today.
"It was a great game against a good team in Newcastle.
- 1 Upper Street flat attack: Man, 58, stabbed in neck and back
- 2 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 3 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 4 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 5 Police investigate alleged Finsbury Park rape
- 6 Survey: Where are the safest and most unsafe where you live?
- 7 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhood scheme
- 8 Letters: Fighting to keep Wray Crescent Park available to all
- 9 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 10 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
"It was important today to start with a win. Last season we started badly and this season we won, so we are happy."
He also admitted that while he's thinking about the Premier League golden boot after winning it last season alongside Liverpool pair Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah, helping the team is his priority.
"As a striker of course it's in the mind," he said.
"But first of all, as I've always said, the most important is the team.
"I'm really happy that the goal could help us to win the game."