Australia Test batsman joins Middlesex as replacement for skipper Voges
Middlesex have confirmed that Australian batsman Joe Burns will replace countryman Adam Voges as the club’s overseas player for a two-month spell.
Burns, who won Test caps last winter, will join the Lord’s side for the start of their NatWest T20 Blast campaign in May, with Voges departing to link up with Australia’s Ashes squad.
However, Middlesex must now find a third overseas player for the last part of the season as Burns is scheduled to play for Australia A on their tour of India in mid-July.
Middlesex’s managing director of cricket Angus Fraser said: “The schedules of other countries and the Caribbean Premier League mean it is extremely difficult to get a player that is available for an entire summer.
“We are delighted to be signing a hungry young Australian who will be desperate to show everyone what he is capable of doing. Joe is an exciting young batsman who had an excellent winter and was unfortunate to miss out on Australia’s tours.
You may also want to watch:
“Ironically, it is probably Adam Voges who took his place in the touring party. We are already planning a replacement for Joe when he leaves to play for Australia A.”
The club have not yet made a decision on who will take over as captain of the four-day side when Voges joins up with Australia.
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 3 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 4 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 5 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 6 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 7 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 8 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 9 Mum-of-two 'loses everything' in Islington fire
- 10 Two men jailed for life after double murder