Bananas growing in Canonbury?! Green-fingered Christina is delighted as her Ramsey Walk garden bears fruit
- Credit: Archant
Despite the English summer, Christina Janvier has succeeded in growing bananas with large, lush leaves in her Canonbury garden.
Five years ago, a friend brought Christina a little banana plant from the island of Saint Lucia. It’s now bearing fruit for the first time.
Christina, who is originally from the Caribbean and now lives in Ramsey Walk, told the Gazette: “It’s a gift to have a banana plant which bears fruit in England. It reminds me of home. Even though the fruits are green and small, they taste like normal bananas.” She loves steaming them.
But it doesn’t need any elaborate care, she says – apparently all the tree requires is regular water.
Walking around her exotic garden of lemon and avocado plants, as well as intensely scented roses and lilies, Christina says she’s happy to see it so lively.
“I expect my other banana plant to bear fruit in a year’s time and I couldn’t be happier. I also keep the bees alive,” she laughed.
- 1 Plan to extend popular Gooners pub with shops and flats
- 2 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 3 Blue Badge exemption and positive results for Canonbury East LTN
- 4 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 5 Five appear in court charged with drugs offences after dawn raids
- 6 Disqualified driver jailed after hit-and-run involving Islington schoolgirl
- 7 'We've still not had Christmas cards': Royal Mail apologises as post backlog hits Islington
- 8 Holloway BHF pleads for volunteers to help it stay open
- 9 Knifeman was out on bail when he nearly killed father-of-three on school run
- 10 Ironmonger Row Baths have reopened for these activities