Bananas growing in Canonbury?! Green-fingered Christina is delighted as her Ramsey Walk garden bears fruit
- Credit: Archant
Despite the English summer, Christina Janvier has succeeded in growing bananas with large, lush leaves in her Canonbury garden.
Five years ago, a friend brought Christina a little banana plant from the island of Saint Lucia. It’s now bearing fruit for the first time.
Christina, who is originally from the Caribbean and now lives in Ramsey Walk, told the Gazette: “It’s a gift to have a banana plant which bears fruit in England. It reminds me of home. Even though the fruits are green and small, they taste like normal bananas.” She loves steaming them.
But it doesn’t need any elaborate care, she says – apparently all the tree requires is regular water.
Walking around her exotic garden of lemon and avocado plants, as well as intensely scented roses and lilies, Christina says she’s happy to see it so lively.
You may also want to watch:
“I expect my other banana plant to bear fruit in a year’s time and I couldn’t be happier. I also keep the bees alive,” she laughed.
- 1 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 2 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 7 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 8 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 9 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 10 Tony Eastlake: Man in court over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller