Bananas growing in Canonbury?! Green-fingered Christina is delighted as her Ramsey Walk garden bears fruit
- Credit: Archant
Despite the English summer, Christina Janvier has succeeded in growing bananas with large, lush leaves in her Canonbury garden.
Five years ago, a friend brought Christina a little banana plant from the island of Saint Lucia. It’s now bearing fruit for the first time.
Christina, who is originally from the Caribbean and now lives in Ramsey Walk, told the Gazette: “It’s a gift to have a banana plant which bears fruit in England. It reminds me of home. Even though the fruits are green and small, they taste like normal bananas.” She loves steaming them.
But it doesn’t need any elaborate care, she says – apparently all the tree requires is regular water.
Walking around her exotic garden of lemon and avocado plants, as well as intensely scented roses and lilies, Christina says she’s happy to see it so lively.
You may also want to watch:
“I expect my other banana plant to bear fruit in a year’s time and I couldn’t be happier. I also keep the bees alive,” she laughed.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 7 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 8 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 9 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 10 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London