Band play at Highbury light switch on
- Credit: Archant
Dozens of people braved the chilly weather to see the Christmas lights switched on in Highbury Barn.
Festive revellers were treated to carols from the Highbury Barn Christmas Lights Orchestra accompanied by a choir from the nearby Joan of Arc Church.
Theresa Debono, mayor of Islington, and ward councillor Caroline Russell addressed the crowd.
Afterwards, Cllr Russell said: “There were lots of people there, and everyone joined in with the carol singing from the choir and the brass band.
“We congratulated the traders for their contribution to the lights, and I was delighted that all six councillors from Highbury East and West wards came together to provide a local initiative fund to make the decorations happen.
You may also want to watch:
“The lights looks lovely and it was a nice festive collaboration to brighten up the area before Christmas.”
- 1 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 2 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 3 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 4 Letters on low traffic neighbourhoods
- 5 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 6 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 7 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
- 8 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 9 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 10 Finsbury Park to get its own Pokémon-GO style story