Barack Obama and David Cameron give Islington robotics team £500,0000 to make android hands
- Credit: Archant
President of the US Barack Obama and Prime Minister David Cameron have announced £500,000 funding for an Islington robotics company.
Shadow Robot, in Liverpool Road, will be given the cash by fellow robotics firm Moley Robotics, in the US, to develop the next-generation of robotic hands.
The deal is part of £1.1billion trade and investment package announced on Thursday during discussions between the two leaders on advancing both countries economic prosperity and national security.
Mr Cameron said: “Moley Robotics is one of the many US companies that has seen the value of doing business in the UK and I’m delighted that Shadow Robot has secured a £500k deal with them to develop their next-generation robotics products.
“This is a clear vote of confidence for the UK and our long-term economic plan which is helping to safeguard our economy for the future.”
You may also want to watch:
Shadow Robot was Founded in 1997 from a team of roboticists excited by the possibilities of cybernetic hands.
They have since grown into a thriving engineering development firm, using their robotic appendages to solve real world problems for a variety of clients, including those in academics, food, logistics and manufacturing.
- 1 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 2 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 3 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 4 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 5 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 6 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 7 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 8 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 9 Prince Edward visits youth centre in Islington
- 10 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
Rich Walker, managing director of Shadow Robot, said: “We’re really excited by this project. Moley Robotics has a fantastic vision of how and where robotics can be applied, and it’s a real privilege to play a part in developing the vision.”
The US is the UK’s biggest trade partner with exports to the US worth nearly £90bn in 2013 – more than any other country in the EU.
The country is also the biggest investor in the UK, with a trade relationship increasing by 5.5% per cent to £140.5bn in 2013.
In a joint statement before the talks, the Prime Minister and President Obama said: “As we meet at the White House, we reaffirm our belief that our ability to defend our freedoms is rooted in our economic strength, and the values that we cherish – freedom of expression, the rule of law, and strong democratic institutions.”