Barack Obama and David Cameron give Islington robotics team £500,0000 to make android hands
- Credit: Archant
President of the US Barack Obama and Prime Minister David Cameron have announced £500,000 funding for an Islington robotics company.
Shadow Robot, in Liverpool Road, will be given the cash by fellow robotics firm Moley Robotics, in the US, to develop the next-generation of robotic hands.
The deal is part of £1.1billion trade and investment package announced on Thursday during discussions between the two leaders on advancing both countries economic prosperity and national security.
Mr Cameron said: “Moley Robotics is one of the many US companies that has seen the value of doing business in the UK and I’m delighted that Shadow Robot has secured a £500k deal with them to develop their next-generation robotics products.
“This is a clear vote of confidence for the UK and our long-term economic plan which is helping to safeguard our economy for the future.”
You may also want to watch:
Shadow Robot was Founded in 1997 from a team of roboticists excited by the possibilities of cybernetic hands.
They have since grown into a thriving engineering development firm, using their robotic appendages to solve real world problems for a variety of clients, including those in academics, food, logistics and manufacturing.
- 1 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 2 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 3 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 4 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 5 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 6 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 7 Campaign groups link up for Hackney Town Hall anti-road closure demo
- 8 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
- 9 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 10 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
Rich Walker, managing director of Shadow Robot, said: “We’re really excited by this project. Moley Robotics has a fantastic vision of how and where robotics can be applied, and it’s a real privilege to play a part in developing the vision.”
The US is the UK’s biggest trade partner with exports to the US worth nearly £90bn in 2013 – more than any other country in the EU.
The country is also the biggest investor in the UK, with a trade relationship increasing by 5.5% per cent to £140.5bn in 2013.
In a joint statement before the talks, the Prime Minister and President Obama said: “As we meet at the White House, we reaffirm our belief that our ability to defend our freedoms is rooted in our economic strength, and the values that we cherish – freedom of expression, the rule of law, and strong democratic institutions.”