Barbershopera: Apocalypse No! - Theatre Review
Judgement Day has never been so sharply funny in BARBERSHOPERA: APOCALYPSE NO! at the Trafalgar Studios in Whitehall.
ANY show that manages to successfully merge Monty Python and Glee without a hint of irony is guaranteed to bring a smile to your face this winter.
And Barbershopera’s Apocalpyse No! certainly fits the bill.
A ridiculous storyline, playschool props and absurd characters are all brought together by four a capella comics whose facial expressions are as well put together as their hilarious ditties.
When the four horsemen of the Apocalypse are ordered by God to wipe out all of mankind – their sins being too dastardly to forgive, after all any species that lets Piers Morgan get his own TV chat show must surely be doomed – things don’t quite go according to plan.
You may also want to watch:
And the fate of the human race rests in the hands of squeaky clean Beth, a primary school teacher who gets roped in to take the place of Death when the harbinger of doom, well, dies.
What follows is a roll call of daft characters Terry Jones would have been proud of and a series of silly songs to lift the spirits.
- 1 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 2 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 3 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 4 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 5 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 6 Letters on low traffic neighbourhoods
- 7 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 8 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 9 Arsenal complete signing of Norweigan midfielder Frida Maanum
- 10 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
This is the third creative outing by the Barbershopera group, whose imaginations and enthusiasm seemingly know no bounds. Long may it continue.
* Showing at Trafalgar Studios 2, Whitehall, SW1 until Saturday, February 5