Barcelona have not offered enough for Fabregas yet, says Arsenal chairman
Hill-Wood: ‘If they come up with a good offer we would have to think about it’
The Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood has admitted that the Gunners will sell Cesc Fabregas to Barcelona, but only if the Spanish side pay the right price.
The deal has been at a standstill for most of the summer with Arsenal believed to be holding out for �40m for their 24-year-old captain.
However, chairman Hill-Wood revealed on Tuesday that the Spanish and European champions had so far only bid �26m for the midfielder, and that there had been no recent contact between the clubs.
“They’ve made one offer, which works out at around �26m, but that was ages ago,” said the Arsenal chairman.
You may also want to watch:
“But at the moment our situation is very straight-forward: we don’t want to lose him.
“Obviously if they come up with an offer which was a very good offer we would have to think about it.
- 1 Upper Street flat attack: Man, 58, stabbed in neck and back
- 2 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 3 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 4 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 5 Police investigate alleged Finsbury Park rape
- 6 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhood scheme
- 7 Survey: Where are the safest and most unsafe where you live?
- 8 Letters: Fighting to keep Wray Crescent Park available to all
- 9 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 10 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
“We have told them a number of times that what they are proposing is unacceptable and yet they haven’t moved on it.
“I don’t approve of what they are doing, but unfortunately it seems the way of the world right now.”
Barcelona boss Pep Guardiola conceded that the club were in negotiations with Arsenal over a possible move for Fabregas.
“This year Arsenal has agreed to negotiate and we are working on it,” Guardiola said. “Barcelona has made an offer, Arsenal another and we have time until Aug 31 and we’ll try to reach an agreement.
“There is a sum of money in the strong box set aside for this signing but if it doesn’t work out it will be kept in the box for something else. We will fight to the end to try to get Cesc because we believe he will improve the team and the squad.”