Barmaid Sophie Habibis voted off X Factor in shock result
X Factor contestant Sophie Habibis was booted off the show last night despite being told that she did not deserve to be in the bottom two.
The 19-year-old barmaid from Tufnell Park had won widespread praise throughout the competition and had avoided the sing-off until last night (Sunday) when she was sent home over fellow contestant Misha B.
While Tulisa Contostavlos and stand-in judge Alexandra Burke were impressed with Sophie’s rendition of Cher’s Bang Bang (My Baby Shot me Down) during the Halloween-themed live show on Saturday night, Louis Walsh told her she looked like a “secretary that sings at the weekend” and Gary Barlow said her performance was “as dull as dishwater.”
But when host Dermot O’Leary revealed the shock result of the public vote, all four judges said Sophie – who worked at the Whittington Stone pub in Highgate Hill, Archway, before entering the show – didn’t deserve to be in the bottom two.
Sophie sang Shelter by The XX during the sing-off but three judges – including her mentor Kelly Rowland, who had to vote over the phone after missing the show due to illness – opted to save Misha B after she performed the Kings of Leon Use Somebody.
You may also want to watch:
Following the vote Kelly, who had previously said she wanted Sophie to sing at her wedding, commented: “I just want to tell Sophie that she is remarkable and she has such an incredible voice. She just has to develop as an artist and I can’t wait to see what the future holds for her.”
A composed but visibly upset Sophie said: ‘I’m going to continue working hard and prove why I shouldn’t have left this competition tonight.”
- 1 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 2 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 3 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 4 Consultation launches on St Peter’s people-friendly streets scheme
- 5 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 6 'We will miss you': Tufnell Park's Ruby Violet ice cream parlour to close
- 7 £1.5m revamp of Stroud Green Primary School given go-ahead
- 8 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 9 'Holborn isn't the only dangerous junction for cyclists and pedestrians'
- 10 Arsenal’s Beth Mead named in WSL team of the week