Barnsbury couple tie the knot after winning free wedding
- Credit: Archant
Getting married is rarely a bargain deal these days, but for one pair of newlyweds the big day wasn’t such a big spend after winning a free ceremony.
David Morin, 33, and Ariane Ouellet-Decoste, 32, from Liverpool Road, Barnsbury, celebrated with 80 friends and family over Easter at the Grade II listed Islington Town Hall after winning a council prize draw for a free civil ceremony.
David, a doctor and financier and Ariane, parents of one, chose the town hall for its character and location.
Ariane, said: “Every weekend we saw couples getting married here and thought it looked so pretty.”
The prize offered the ‘‘best room in the house’’, the plush-carpeted, oak-panelled council chamber worth up to £2,500.
You may also want to watch:
Deputy Council leader Richard Greening, who married Patsy in the chamber in 2012 said: “I know from personal experience the excellent job our registrars do.”
More than 1,400 couples tied the knot at the building last year.
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 3 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 4 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 5 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 6 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 7 Almost 5,000 Islington people pinged by Covid app in one week
- 8 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 9 New pub opens in place of The Monarch in Chalk Farm Road
- 10 Mum-of-two 'loses everything' in Islington fire
For more information of weddings and civil partnerships at Islington Town Hall, go to www.islington.gov.uk/ceremonies or call 020 7527 6350.