Barnsbury couple tie the knot after winning free wedding
- Credit: Archant
Getting married is rarely a bargain deal these days, but for one pair of newlyweds the big day wasn’t such a big spend after winning a free ceremony.
David Morin, 33, and Ariane Ouellet-Decoste, 32, from Liverpool Road, Barnsbury, celebrated with 80 friends and family over Easter at the Grade II listed Islington Town Hall after winning a council prize draw for a free civil ceremony.
David, a doctor and financier and Ariane, parents of one, chose the town hall for its character and location.
Ariane, said: “Every weekend we saw couples getting married here and thought it looked so pretty.”
The prize offered the ‘‘best room in the house’’, the plush-carpeted, oak-panelled council chamber worth up to £2,500.
You may also want to watch:
Deputy Council leader Richard Greening, who married Patsy in the chamber in 2012 said: “I know from personal experience the excellent job our registrars do.”
More than 1,400 couples tied the knot at the building last year.
- 1 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 2 Tollington by-election imminent as Richard Watts joins Khan's 'top team'
- 3 Primary school allowed to keep floodlights despite complaints
- 4 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 5 Islington Council set to save Grade II-listed South Library from disrepair
- 6 Islington Council backtracks on promise to save mulberry tree
- 7 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 8 Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall visits the Whittington Hospital
- 9 Reaction from winners of Islington by-elections
- 10 Historic pub The Cuckoo ready to welcome locals inside after refurbishment
For more information of weddings and civil partnerships at Islington Town Hall, go to www.islington.gov.uk/ceremonies or call 020 7527 6350.