Barnsbury gay rights campaigner gets MBE in New Year’s Honours
- Credit: Archant
A campaigner who has helped keep gay rights on the agenda for 40 years has been made an MBE for services to the international movement for lesbian and gay Rights.
Nigel Warner, 67, of Barnsbury Road, Barnsbury, is the current Council of Europe Adviser to the International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association Europe (ILGA) and has been involved with the body since the 1970s.
Mr Warner, who is also a former treasurer of ILGA, said that the very fact that he and others working for gay rights were starting to get this sort of recognition proved how far the campaign had come.
However, he said the MBE was like “a long service award” and said the progress he has been a part of has been down to thousands of people all over the world.
He said: “These sort of movements are not something that any single person can be commended for, there are so many people involved in so many different ways in so many different places at different levels.
You may also want to watch:
“The international movement is now huge all around the world. Lots and lots of people have worked very hard for a very long time for these changes – any single individual is rather unworthy of being picked out.
“The challenge facing my colleagues in Russia and Ukraine at the moment is huge and it takes a lot more bravery to stand up there than it does here.”
- 1 Dangerous driving complaints spur Holloway right-turn bans
- 2 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 3 Emirates pop-up Covid-19 vaccine clinic opens for a second time
- 4 More than 1,000 knives surrendered in Islington’s knife bins
- 5 Former Islington BC Slavisa Gegic fighter visits his old club
- 6 Covid-19 cases start to drop off in Islington
- 7 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 8 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
- 9 Escape in Islington this weekend: Lovely food and great new shows
- 10 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
One of Mr Warner’s greatest achievement in the battle for gay rights was drafting the first allocation which led to the ILGA being represented on the Council of Europe in the 1980s.