Barnsbury homes evacuated after burst Thames Water pipe floods basements
- Credit: Peter Fellows
Eight households were evacuated after a burst Thames Water main pipe severely flooded their homes in Barnsbury early on Wednesday (January 27).
Many homes in the N1 postcodes were left without water or with low water pressure following the flood that erupted at 6.30am in Offord Road.
Water supplies in the area returned to normal by early afternoon.
Eight basement properties were badly hit as the water spewed into the street.
The utility company has had to provide alternative accommodation for households and - in at least one case - their pets.
You may also want to watch:
Thames Water engineers were drafted in to stem water flowing from the pipe and water was re-routed around the pipe network to get water supplies back to normal.
A Thames Water spokesperson said: "Our next step is to plan the repair work with minimal disruption.
- 1 ‘Absolute disgrace’: Heating and hot water issues plague two estates
- 2 LTNs, census, carers and run for Macmillan
- 3 Learning in lockdown: Homeschooling in Islington after move from America
- 4 NOcado campaign: Ocado brings High Court challenge
- 5 Covid rule warning issued after spate of parties in Islington
- 6 Junction Road collision: Man arrested on suspicion of drink driving
- 7 Seventh man charged with murder of Imani Allaway-Muir
- 8 Three strikes and you're out: Jail term for drug dealer
- 9 Swimmers in Hackney and Islington raise money to save their club
- 10 Film: Cherry (18)
"We’ve had specialists in the area since this morning supporting the handful of homeowners who have been flooded.
"They will have the option to claim the costs of repairs to their property and possessions from us directly, or they can claim from their own home insurers who will then recover the costs from us.
"It’s our pipe that did the damage so it’s our place to make sure the homeowners are looked after."
They added: "We fully appreciate how terrible this is for them, especially during the ongoing pandemic.
"Each of them has been allocated a dedicated case manager who will support them through the process."
In another incident, a burst pipe in St George's Avenue caused low water pressure and no water for properties in the N7 postcode.